Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Stereotypes

Stereotypes. No one can get away from them, and with them come preconceived ideas that can ruin something, to the point where doing something different or individual is met with the surprise of someone "breaking the mould". Religion, race, state of dress, all contribute to the stereotypes: All Christians are good, all Germans are evil, all who dress in black are depressed. 

The most notable instance of late came when I saw a biker gang at a petrol station. On closer inspection, I noticed Christian motifs on the back of their jackets. I didn't think anything of it, but on telling people later, most remarks were along the lines of "What? Bit of a conflicting statement, Christian bike gang" 
I guess people just can't fit "Good" Christians with "Bad" gangs. 

When will people realise they can't label someone on appearance, age, religion or race!

I just don't understand why people like labels so much that they put people and things into little boxes and then get all shocked when someone doesn't fit their label. People go round and round saying we're all individual, unique, then turn round and say "Actually, you are individual, but you have to be this kind of individual, just like everyone else".

And it affects people subconsciously. While you may not realise it, you're probably treating people or making choices based on some form of stereotyping. For example, I, recently went through an image change, becoming labelled by myself and everyone else as Goth. It started out fine, until I realised when I went to buy clothes I was thinking "No, that's not Goth, so I don't like that...oh, these are black, so I must like them" My mind was telling me that if I was Goth, I had to think and act with the stereotype, which wasn't always my choice.  So I ditched that and just started wearing what I liked, rather than what I thought I should dress like. Now I guess it’s more punky, but not enough to really get me labelled. And I’ve never seen anyone dressed like me to the day.

In my opinion, we should just get rid of the labels and start actually looking at people! I know it sounds clichéd, it is, but it’s gonna keep on being said until people start to actually listen to it!

As always though, this is just my opinion. Everyone’s entitled, so as your question, the ever simple
 “What is yours?

HotB

NB: None of the stereotypes here on race or religion reflect my opinions; I have no prejudice against anyone and am fully openminded to everyone as an individual.

2 comments:

  1. I find gangs of church worshippers quite terrifying.

    Keep on blogging, you have a good style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You raise a good point. People who are portrayed as 'good' (Christians) belonging to a group that is 'bad' (gangs) seems odd to the general observer.

    However, judging people is something we all do. It is not possible to not judge people. Subconsciously we apply labels, we judge, and we try to anticipate and expect how these people will act and how we should respond to that. Stereotyping is doing just that, judging people by their outwards appearance and actions.

    And yes, judging someone by their outward appearance and actions is silly. But it's human nature. You will be judged, and you will judge people on the way you are/act on your first and subsequent meetings. Indeed, one should try to hold off judging to quickly, but how long should you hold off judging someone for? It would seem a little silly to spend 5 years getting to know someone, only to decide that they are infact complete idiots and we want nothing to do with them! So judging and stereotyping is the human brain's way of finding people that are compatible with you.

    Of course, people are complex and often are judged and stereotyped wrongly, so all we can really do is try to be aware of how we are judging, because I don't really think it is possible to stop judging and stereotyping altogether.

    'Labels are for tins!!' as we commonly state in the LGBT community :)

    Anyway, my apologies if my comments on your blogs are getting annoying. I'm looking forward to your next instalment :)

    ReplyDelete