Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Why I LOVE body art...and why I dislike tattoos.

Hey Guys,

As you miiiiight just have guessed from the title, I loooooooooove body art. I'm always drawing on myself with whatever's closest to hand - Henna, biros, sharpies, india ink...I love being able to just randomly display pictures of whatever image comes into my head, or show off quotes I'm obsessed with - Yes, it was me that wrote "Make Love Not War" in about 21 different places all over my body XD It's a form of expression for me.
That's not to say I love tattoos though.

Yes, they look AWESOME when you first get them done...as long as it's not in a state of blind drunkenness, with a dodgy-looking guy inking the name of a random person you met in a bar less than an hour ago and immediately decided was your soulmate.
But seriously, they look awful after a while. Sagging, faded ink pictures permanently blotched into your skin are NOT particularly attractive.

And then there's the permanence of them. When you're trying to raise kids of your own,  tattoos screaming obscure references to bands you can barely even remember the genre of - let alone the title of their biggest hit - or huge full-body works depicting your two-month gothic phase, all the way from grinning, worm eaten zombies to bloodstained, chain-covered coffins, aren't the best way to set a good example.

And then there's the slight problem you get when your teenage gang and you decide to get identical skulls tattooed across your face, to show that you're the most feared, powerful gang out there.
Yeah...good luck trying to get a job with that.

So, in my humble opinion, of which there seems to be no shortage :P, non permanent body art is the way to go XD I love having the freedom to change my designs (At the moment I have a henna-and-sharpie heart tattooed on my wrist, and an india-ink cross on my leg)
Plus, they're heaps cheaper XD

So my question is probably blindingly obvious :P What are your opinions on tattoos/body art?


HotB

1 comment:

  1. I do agree, many tattoos are chosen without much meaning, and it's a bad idea because who wants a permanent reference to something that doesn't really mean anything to you on your body?

    However, there are tattoos that hold significant meaning for whoever chose them. For example, I intend to get a tattoo covering a batch of scars that I have, not just to cover and hide them, but to symbolise the struggle of recovery. Having a tattoo as a permanent reminder that I made it this far.

    Some tattoos may appear to be pointless and a 'waste of skin', but to the wearer, they have a meaning. Most people (granted, there are an amount of people who don't) realise that a tattoo is a very permanent decision, and think about it before they go for it. It's just disappointing that tattoos are so unaccepted in the workplace.

    Just my $0.02 :P

    ReplyDelete