Sunday, September 5, 2010

Man Flu...Does it really exist??

Well, I've been ill for the past week, and if I was a guy, I would have man flu. I'm a girl, so that must mean I actually am dying...

But what is the deal with man flu? Is it actually a real thing (Watch here as all the guys swear "yes!" and all the girls roll their eyes and go "Yeah, whatever") On seeing my status on fb (see opening sentance) one of my friends (a guy, funnily enough) messaged me with 
"Oh, thats a shame, but seriously you have no idea how painful man flu is :P"

Aren't guys meant to be the big fearless tough ones (yes I know it's stereotypical and sexist, I'm just airing popular opinion here, don't kill me), but yet they fall at the first stirrings of a cold, which develops into the feared, deadly MAN FLU.

Man flu, for those who don't understand, is defined, by the ever-dependable urban dictionary, as:
"The condition shared by all males wherein a common illness (usually a mild cold) is presented by the patient as life-threatening. This is also known as 'Fishing for Sympathy' or 'Chronic Exaggeration'. When the patient is your boyfriend, he will exhibit the standard symptoms (such as an overwhelming desire for compassion) while simultaneously rejecting any and all efforts you make to placate him" 

An example might be:
You: Awww, you poor guy. 
Him: I'm DYING! 
You: (Soothingly) Oh, you're not dying. 
Him: (Indignant) I AM! I have Man Flu! 
You: Do you need some sympathy? 
Him: Yes! But no one understands my pain... 
You: I understa- 
Him: NO YOU DO NOT!!!

Most woman seem to look upon this with more than mild scepticism and men with indignant belief.
Soo, the QOTD (Question of the day):
Do you believe that man flu is a real illness, and if so, have you ever suffered from it? 
(If you believe it and are a girl, please say as I've yet to meet one :P)

No comments:

Post a Comment