Thursday, September 2, 2010

Money Issues...

How scary is it that I earned more money during an hour of busking than the minimum hourly wage?

Three times as much, to be exact. Yes, I was lucky enough to get about $16.50 in just under an hour, as opposed to the 
$5 McDonalds or other fast-food joint pay.

I don't know...something seems not quite right about that. I mean, I'm not complaining, never being one to throw back money and say "Hey! You shouldn't be giving that to me, it belongs to the vastly underpaid masses"

But still, something to think about...

My question
Do you think there's something wrong with the fact a singer on the street can earn more per hour than a full-working person? Or is it just a case of "A job is a job is a job", and people should just take what comes their way?

1 comment:

  1. Nope, I do not think there is anything wrong with the fact it is possible to earn more busking than the minimum wage, for various reasons. Depending on the skill level, time of day, mood of the people passing by and how long the performer performs, the amount of money received could just as easily be 3 times less than the minimum wage. It is simply not a reliable income. The minimum wage is low, and in the ideal situation would be raised (or inflation would decrease to make it a living wage), but various economic factors would make that incredibly inefficient, thus it must stay low. However, minimum wage is a guaranteed amount, that provided you stick to the terms in your contract, you *will* get it.

    With busking you are relying on luck, it is not real employment, nor a real wage since most likely you are not paying income tax on it, and so it cannot really be compared to a working wage (in my opinion :P)

    ReplyDelete